Average Wizard Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classification of Wizarding Genealogy (or, What Makes a Halfblood).

4 posters

Go down

Classification of Wizarding Genealogy (or, What Makes a Halfblood). Empty Classification of Wizarding Genealogy (or, What Makes a Halfblood).

Post  Angelina Johnson September 21st 2011, 6:08 am

This is coming from me and my bro while we rewatch OotP...

Harry is a Halfblood.
He has 2 wizarding parents, but 2 Muggle grandparents as well as 2 wizarding grandparents.

Voldemort is a Halfblood.
He has a Muggle father and a wizarding mother.
But he has he same grandparentage as Harry.

So, does your wizarding heritage come from your parents or your grandparents?
I thought it was parents, but I could be wrong.
And what would that make Harry/Ginny's kids and Ron/Hermione's kids?
Angelina Johnson
Angelina Johnson
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Classification of Wizarding Genealogy (or, What Makes a Halfblood). Empty Re: Classification of Wizarding Genealogy (or, What Makes a Halfblood).

Post  Arthur Weasley September 21st 2011, 6:32 am

I remember reading someone's explanation of half-blood. They compared it to term as used by the Nazis during the Holocaust when referring to a person's Jewish hertiage. If you were a half-blood, you had at least one Jewist grandparent, if I remember correctly. So Harry and Ginny's children would be half-bloods, in my mind, because their one grandmother (Lily Evans-Potter) was of Muggle blood. Even though Lily is a witch, her value is equal to that of a Muggle in the minds of the Death Eaters. Ron and Hermione's children would also be half-bloods because two of their grandparents (Mrs. and Mr. Granger) were of Muggle blood.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.
Arthur Weasley
Arthur Weasley

Back to top Go down

Classification of Wizarding Genealogy (or, What Makes a Halfblood). Empty Re: Classification of Wizarding Genealogy (or, What Makes a Halfblood).

Post  Guest September 21st 2011, 6:34 am

I get the feeling any nonmagical blood in your lineage discounts you from being a Pureblood. Or at least by elitest standards. I think if you have two wizard parents, you are considered some kind of normal, maybe without a name attached. And I always just figured Halfblood meant one of your parents was a muggle and the other magical. -shrug- I guess it's never really discussed.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Evans September 21st 2011, 8:17 am

It's not really 100% defined I guess - even the "Purebloods" are a bit of a ruse in modern times I think. In CoS Hagrid said something along the lines of 'there's not a witch or wizard today who's not Half-blood or less'. So I guess along the lines of Teresa's explanation makes sense there - once the line is 'tainted' by Muggle blood, it's no longer pure.
Then again, it's also likely that if you go down enough generations with Harry & Ginny's kids for example, it could very well be forgotten or the information erased that their great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother was Muggleborn. It's highly likely that that even happened with some of the Pureblood families - the Muggle bloodline was absorbed and bred out to use a really icky term over X number of generations.
*shrugs*
It was a lot easier when I just thought of it in terms of "Half-blood" = Seamus Finnigan, one magical and one Muggle parent.
Lily Evans
Lily Evans
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Narcissa Black September 21st 2011, 8:18 am

It's also been said, though, that after a certain amount of generations a family can technically "become" pureblood. I can't imagine how many though. >.>
Narcissa Black
Narcissa Black
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum