Average Wizard Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New one

+9
Scorpius Malfoy
Dean Thomas
Fleur Delacour - Inactive
Adelia Kara Whiteraven
Alice Prewett
Romilda Vane
Nikki Orwell
Pansy Parkinson-Malfoy
James Potter - Inactive
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New one - Page 2 Empty Re: New one

Post  Romilda Vane July 8th 2010, 9:31 pm

Stella L. Malfoy wrote:Well, I did not want to Type that way. Actually my English is good and not horrible Crying or Very sad

If this is true, than you should know that "type" is not capitalized as it is not a proper noun, nor is it at the beginning of a sentence. Also, restating my amazing friend/boss Nikki, periods are always used at the end of a sentence, unless replaced with an exclaimation point, question mark, or an ellipsis.

Also, about your character: It is a simple matter to make her a distant cousin, or even change her last name. It's not that big a deal.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SAY YOU ARE A FIRST COUSIN!! JUST BY SAYING YOU'RE LUCIUS' NIECE IMPLIES IT! THERE IS NO OTHER WAY!

As I said before, we're really not asking a lot. We're just trying to make our forum a better place for everyone.
Romilda Vane
Romilda Vane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest July 8th 2010, 9:32 pm

Okay Fine I'm Draco's first cousin okay

Back to top Go down

Post  Alice Prewett July 8th 2010, 9:32 pm

Why can't you listen to the experienced ones? Some of us have been around here forever, and some of us are MODERATORS.

YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO THE MODERATORS.
Alice Prewett
Alice Prewett
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Romilda Vane July 8th 2010, 9:35 pm

James Potter wrote:HOWEVER, please do not invent the children of other characters just because you want to be a Weasley or a Malfoy or something. Distant cousin? Maybe. There are more than enough canon characters to choose from, and many of them are only briefly mentioned, which gives you a great blank slate to work with and develop as you like. If you are unsure if the character you would like to play is available, please PM one of the moderators, or check for a listing under Announcements.

DO YOU READ??? YOUR CHARACTER CANNOT BE DRACO'S FIRST COUSIN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Romilda Vane
Romilda Vane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest July 8th 2010, 9:36 pm

Hell, my neck and back hurt Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Romilda Vane July 8th 2010, 9:36 pm

WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH YOUR READING??
Romilda Vane
Romilda Vane

Back to top Go down

Post  James Potter - Inactive July 8th 2010, 9:36 pm

I've isolated the parts you need to work on. Don't worry, the lessons are pretty simple.

Don't use apostrophes for possessive pronouns or for noun plurals.

Apostrophes should not be used with possessive pronouns because possessive pronouns already show possession — they don't need an apostrophe. His, her, its, my, yours, ours are all possessive pronouns. Here are some examples:

wrong: his' book
correct: his book

wrong: The group made it's decision.
correct: The group made its decision.

(Note: Its and it's are not the same thing. It's is a contraction for "it is" and its is a possessive pronoun meaning "belonging to it." It's raining out= it is raining out. A simple way to remember this rule is the fact that you don't use an apostrophe for the possessive his or hers, so don't do it with its!)

wrong: a friend of yours'
correct: a friend of yours

wrong: She waited for three hours' to get her ticket.
correct: She waited for three hours to get her ticket.

Use a comma + a little conjunction (and, but, for, nor, yet, or, so) to connect two independent clauses, as in "He hit the ball well, but he ran toward third base."

Contending that the coordinating conjunction is adequate separation, some writers will leave out the comma in a sentence with short, balanced independent clauses (such as we see in the example just given). If there is ever any doubt, however, use the comma, as it is always correct in this situation.

One of the most frequent errors in comma usage is the placement of a comma after a coordinating conjunction. We cannot say that the comma will always come before the conjunction and never after, but it would be a rare event, indeed, that we need to follow a coordinating conjunction with a comma. When speaking, we do sometimes pause after the little conjunction, but there is seldom a good reason to put a comma there.

A RUN-ON SENTENCE (sometimes called a "fused sentence") has at least two parts, either one of which can stand by itself (in other words, two independent clauses), but the two parts have been smooshed together instead of being properly connected.

It is important to realize that the length of a sentence really has nothing to do with whether a sentence is a run-on or not; being a run-on is a structural flaw that can plague even a very short sentence:

The sun is high, put on some sunblock.
An extremely long sentence, on the other hand, might be a "run-off-at-the-mouth" sentence, but it can be otherwise sound, structurally.

When two independent clauses are connected by only a comma, they constitute a run-on sentence that is called a comma-splice. The example just above (about the sunscreen) is a comma-splice. When you use a comma to connect two independent clauses, it must be accompanied by a little conjunction (and, but, for, nor, yet, or, so).

The sun is high, so put on some sunscreen.
Run-on sentences happen typically under the following circumstances*:

When an independent clause gives an order or directive based on what was said in the prior independent clause:

This next chapter has a lot of difficult information in it, you should start studying right away.
(We could put a period where that comma is and start a new sentence. A semicolon might also work there.)

When two independent clauses are connected by a transitional expres​sion(conjunctive adverb) such as however, moreover, nevertheless.

Mr. Nguyen has sent his four children to ivy-league colleges, however, he has sacrificed his health working day and night in that dusty bakery.
(Again, where that first comma appears, we could have used either a period — and started a new sentence — or a semicolon.)

When the second of two independent clauses contains a pronoun that connects it to the first independent clause.

This computer doesn't make sense to me, it came without a manual.
(Although these two clauses are quite brief, and the ideas are closely related, this is a run-on sentence. We need a period where that comma now stands.)

Most of those computers in the Learning Assistance Center are broken already, this proves my point about American computer manufacturers.
Again, two nicely related clauses, incorrectly connected — a run-on. Use a period to cure this sentence.

A tip of my own: Capitalization is not to be used lightly. Do not capitalize random words, else you give those words more importance than they deserve. If I capitalized random words, one might get confused, wondering if I was referring to proper nouns only I knew about.

Example: I am Upset by your Improper grammar, so I am Attempting to rectify your Mistakes.

Not that "upset," "improper," "attempting," and "mistakes" are normal words that are not proper nouns or the beginning of a sentence. As a rule of thumb, capitalize names of specific people, places, and things, and keep in mind that verbs are almost never capitalized if they are not at the beginning of a sentence or in the title of something.

Use a period [ . ] at the end of a sentence that makes a statement. There is no space between the last letter and the period. Use one space between the period and the first letter of the next sentence.

Please read through this short guide carefully. I have attempted to target your weakest areas, so that you may strengthen your grammar and general word sense. It is very important that you use good grammar, or people could get confused. The point of language is communication, and the point of grammar is making that communication easy to understand. A famous example of grammar drastically changing the meaning of a phrase is "eats shoots and leaves." You will notice that the addition of just one comma ("eats, shoot and leaves") can change the entire phrase. Hopefully now you are more grammar conscious, and will look over your posts carefully in the future to avoid such confusion.

Thank you for your time.

James Potter - Inactive

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikki Orwell July 8th 2010, 9:40 pm

JAMES IS THE BEST.
I LOVE HER GRAMMAR LESSONS.
IF I WERE CLEVER, THIS WOULD RHYME.
OR BE A LIMERICK.
BUT I AM NOT THE BARD.
SO I WILL JUST STATE MY INTENTIONS.
Nikki Orwell
Nikki Orwell
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Adelia Kara Whiteraven July 8th 2010, 10:31 pm

Lo, James the great,
James the mighty,
Came one summer's day.
For respite she sought,
from wicked real life,
and found to her dismay:

Some idiot newb,
a troll, a fiend.
Who has come and proven thus:
People are idiots, yes they are,
People like this one should be banned
From our shining jewel of a star (site).

So gtfo unless you actually try to comply. And this time, my rhyme? Is totally sublime.
Adelia Kara Whiteraven
Adelia Kara Whiteraven
Seventh Year

http://aydensilverflame7.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Adelia Kara Whiteraven July 8th 2010, 10:37 pm

OH And this:

Stop typing, stop typing
I don't wanna read anymore!
You've left your brain and
IQ on the dumb-floor!
Adelia Kara Whiteraven
Adelia Kara Whiteraven
Seventh Year

http://aydensilverflame7.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Fleur Delacour - Inactive July 8th 2010, 10:38 pm

New one - Page 2 Tumblr_l5974j3Lpb1qbnt8vo1_500

Fleur Delacour - Inactive
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Pansy Parkinson-Malfoy July 8th 2010, 11:34 pm

She's been banned for not adhering to the rules and disregarding all suggestions and requests made by admin and mods, so the situation was taken care of. Done and done.
Pansy Parkinson-Malfoy
Pansy Parkinson-Malfoy
Seventh Year

http://www.itsparkinson.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Romilda Vane July 8th 2010, 11:39 pm

YAY.
GOOD.
Romilda Vane
Romilda Vane

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean Thomas July 8th 2010, 11:50 pm

Pansy Malfoy wrote:She's been banned for not adhering to the rules and disregarding all suggestions and requests made by admin and mods, so the situation was taken care of. Done and done.

YAY!! I really like how official this sounds. Smile
Dean Thomas
Dean Thomas
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpius Malfoy July 9th 2010, 12:19 am

I love each and every one of you so fucking much.
Scorpius Malfoy
Scorpius Malfoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugo Weasley July 9th 2010, 1:09 am

as much as i enjoyed reading this i wonder why i have not been outcast yet as i know my grammar and spelling are atrocious sometimes. though i believe its improving.
Hugo Weasley
Hugo Weasley
Fourth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Draco Malfoy July 9th 2010, 1:43 am

Pansy Malfoy wrote:She's been banned for not adhering to the rules and disregarding all suggestions and requests made by admin and mods, so the situation was taken care of. Done and done.

That makes me happy. PEOPLE CANNOT JOIN THE MALFOY CLAN. IT CANNOT HAPPEN. EVER. I DON'T CARE HOW DISTANT OF A COUSIN THEY ARE. IF THEY'RE A COUSIN THEN THEY CAN BE A BLACK.
Draco Malfoy
Draco Malfoy

http://skylinepassion.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Daphne Greengrass July 9th 2010, 1:44 am

*raises hand*
I joined the Malfoy clan... even though I have a different name.
Daphne Greengrass
Daphne Greengrass
Fifth Year

http://snorkackshit.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Draco Malfoy July 9th 2010, 1:46 am

Yes but you aren't a Malfoy by name. You're still a Riddle and are thus acceptable. Also you're adorable. And know how to use a comma.
Draco Malfoy
Draco Malfoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Daphne Greengrass July 9th 2010, 1:48 am

Oh, shucks. *blushes*

Daphne Greengrass
Daphne Greengrass
Fifth Year

http://snorkackshit.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Draco Malfoy July 9th 2010, 1:49 am

We love you Dee... That's why you're the MOH Very Happy And because you got Draco to propose.

p.s. This is the original Malfoys... so everyone else should just give the fuck up....

New one - Page 2 Mna7o

And yes I did post this just so I can see it even more often... DON'T JUDGE ME
Draco Malfoy
Draco Malfoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Morag MacDougal - Inactiv July 9th 2010, 2:29 am

[ oh drool. ]

Morag MacDougal - Inactiv

Back to top Go down