Average Wizard Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Astronomy Tower

4 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Astronomy Tower - Page 2 Empty Re: The Astronomy Tower

Post  Lily Evans January 18th 2012, 12:01 am

Maybe going to Pancakes on the Rocks for lunch today. I should order them and see what happens...

Lily smiled slightly, she couldn't help but agree with James; better that nobody else was here to share this. Her smile slipped into a light laugh when James touched his forkful of pie to hers, smooshing the mashed potato together just a little bit. She tasted hers, not at all surprised but still very happy to note how delicious it was. Lily fell into eating with enthusiasm, not as fast as James but definitely not slacking off; she hadn't had much of an appetite the last couple of weeks (ruined Christmas dinner for her almost as much as Vernon's presence had, actually) and she was apparently set on catching up now.

She paused, smirking when James praised her idea. "I know, and it's only the half of it," she said, full of blunt and playful pride as she ate her pie and drained her first cup of tea. There was a little bit of comfortable silence as they each set about loading plates up. Lily took only a couple of pikelets and topped them with a dollop of cream, chose herself a cupcake, added a couple of mini quiches, and settled back to graze on the food in a lazy, leisurely sort of way.

Swiping her finger around the frosting on her cupcake and popping it into her mouth, Lily listened with interest. James' chatter brought an amused smile to her face as he described his own Christmas, and she shrugged when he asked about hers. "It was alright. It's always good to see my parents, even if Mum does get a bit revolting about it every time I go away. I think it's because I'm the youngest," she mused. Taking a little pause to consider how to explain it to him, she absent-mindedly scooped a little more frosting onto her finger, ate it, and then began breaking little chunks of cupcake free to pop into her mouth.

"Home was... different this year, I suppose. My sister finished school last year, and this year she moved down to London to go to Business College so I guess it's been really quiet at home for Mum and Dad. So they let my sister bring her boyfriend home to meet the family and all that. That was a real laugh," she said, a derisive snort slipping out despite herself. "Anyway, why'd you lot all stay? Weren't your parents a bit upset you weren't spending Christmas with them? My Mum considered tethering me in my room to stop me when I said I was coming back early - not that she really had a say, but she'd have liked to."
Lily Evans
Lily Evans
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  James Potter January 19th 2012, 4:21 pm

So I was going to reply last night when I got home but then I slipped into a design coma and forgot everything else in the world. Sorry.

"Only the half of it, that's right... can't wait to see what you've got on those." He gestured toward the records and the player she had brought, highly curious about what kind of music it was if it was so much better than their wizarding world's music. Some of the wizard rock wasn't so bad, if you knew where to find the good stuff anyway. But that was usually in this shop down Knockturn Alley, and he didn't get out there to check for new stuff very often, and they certainly weren't playing it on wizarding radio. They were far too busy gushing over the popular and the terrible, like Celestina Warbeck or Musidora Barkwith.

He chuckled when she ate some of the icing on her cupcake first, finishing up his pancakes as she talked about her holiday. He listened interestedly, as he generally did whenever she would talk to him, and continued taking little mental notes of things that might seem important to her, so that he could remember them for later. Whether she realized it or not, he'd been doing that for several years now, and had a little store of information about her. Including the fact that she had a killer arm and wold probably make a fair chaser if she were to try out for Quidditch.

"I'm sure they've missed having you at home very much." He smiled at her, putting his now-empty pancake plate to the side. "Mum wasn't too pleased at first that I wasn't coming home, but she understood too, in a way. We talked by Floo on Christmas anyway. But I stayed because the others were staying this year. Padfoot wasn't going home because, well, you know. He's been kicked out and living a 'renegade life', or whatever it is he calls it, in my house since halfway through fifth year. So he stuck around. Moony stayed because he said he was still worn out from the last full moon. And Wormtail stayed because the rest of us were staying, and you know he won't be left out. So I guess we could have all gone home, but it's our last Christmas at Hogwarts, isn't it? Might as well make the very most of it, and there was sort of a silent agreement that we would all stick around here together and have a good time." He shrugged lightly, picking up a cupcake with creamy white cake and dark chocolate icing. "And you came back because you missed me so very terribly, right? Didn't realize how hard it was to be away from me for so long?" He laughed, shaking his head and obviously kidding. For the most part.
James Potter
James Potter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Evans January 20th 2012, 2:55 pm

Sounds like fun! I tried to reply a couple of times at work today, but kept getting interrupted so I figured I'd leave it til I could concentrate. Note to self: erase the word doc on saved on work pc desktop with beginnings of reply first thing Monday. >.>

"Well, you're going to have to wait a little bit longer for it, there's some very important looking quiches I need to attend to before I worry about records," Lily grinned, nodding at the couple of mini quiches that sat on her plate, looking appetising and begging to be eaten. She picked one of them up; despite her words she was still excited to get on with introducing James to the different style of music. Having never really heard magical music beyond the trash that came up on the wireless when the second years took over the Common Room with it, she wasn't aware of any of the rock witches and wizards could be into.

She fell silent, green eyes fixed intently on James' face as he talked about his family and his friends -there didn't seem to be much distinction between them to him, she realised- and how they'd spent their Christmas. Almost absently, as if she almost forgot she was doing so, Lily nibbled on the mini quiche in her hand while she listened. Her lips pulled downwards into a little frown of concern that Remus still wasn't feeling quite well again, but she made no comment on that, distracted by thoughts of Sirius. "I thought that was all just a bit of vicious rumour, and a lot of exaggerated bollocks on top," she admitted. "I never quite realised it might actually be more true than I gave credit for. Sirius' family, I mean," she added, brushing the pastry crumbs from her fingertips.

When James laughed, Lily looked up, blinked, and laughed too as she processed his mostly-joke. "Yeah yeah, you just hold on to that one Potter, let it keep you warm at night," she mocked, and plucked a grape from the bunch to peg at his head. Most definitely not proper first date etiquette, but somehow the impulse to mock and poke and laugh at James was ingrained, a natural reaction. "If you think you can manage not being a git for long enough, you could have a look in the basket and see if there's anything cold to drink?" she asked, while not asking at all.
Lily Evans
Lily Evans
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  James Potter January 22nd 2012, 12:13 am

"Very important quiches, indeed," he commented in return, abandoning his efforts to devour the cupcake in his hand. On a second thought, he picked it up again, shoved the remainder of it into his mouth, and picked up two quiches to deposit onto his plate to be consumed momentarily. He shook his head lightly at her as she mentioned thinking Padfoot being kicked out was only a rumor, and swallowed the cupcake to answer her. "No, all of it's true. Well mostly. His mother isn't actually half-banshee, but she might as well be the way the woman screams." James chucked good naturedly, happy to think that his best friend no longer had to live there and put up with it, that the friend who was like a brother to him since they met at eleven years old, was finally even more like a brother, living with him and his family, sharing a bedroom and parents and everything.

He smirked at her rather fondly as she threw a grape at him, letting it bounce off somewhere else without a second glance. It wasn't important, and the grape was far less lovely than Lily's face. His eyes remained there instead. It was them, it was natural. It flowed and felt right and just seemed like what was supposed to be happening. Impossible to wipe the smile from his face, he straightened up again at her request - or command, he could never be sure with Lily - to find something to drink. "Well, let's see. There's butterbeer, two waters, whatever's in this large bottle, I guess wine or something, pumpkin juice," he rambled as he pulled glass bottles all out of the basket, and several glasses to drink from as well, "oh, and a flask of firewhiskey. I guess they thought we'd like that, or would be eating it somewhere cold. Fortunately your brilliant brain went ahead and fixed that issue, huh?" He grinned at her, glancing around for just a second to appreciate the flawless enclosing charm she'd put up to keep the wind out and the heat in. "What'll it be, Miss Evans?" he asked her, gesturing his hand along the various containers so that she could pick and he could pour, all with a comfortable, silly grin tugging on the corners of his lips.
James Potter
James Potter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Evans January 22nd 2012, 4:03 am

Lily held back a snort as James stuffed the cupcake unceremoniously into his mouth. "Oh. Well... I suppose it's a good thing he has somewhere else to go and doesn't have to be there anymore," she said after casting around for a moment for something appropriate to say and realising that there isn't anything, really. There wasn't a chance for the mood to shift and let the potential melancholy take a hold of the situation though, because while Lily's natural bent was to focus on the sadness of Sirius' family situation, James leaned towards the happiness of gaining a brother and his smile was catching.

When the grape she threw bounced off James and rolled away into the folds of the picnic rug somewhere and James' only reaction was to smirk, his eyes never once leaving her face, Lily stilled. Slowly, she grinned back. It was ridiculous, girly, stupid, and all the sorts of things hopeless romantics built up in their heads to make all the normal bits of life seem more meaningful, but Lily almost felt like an understanding passed between them in that moment. It was them, and this was how they were, and it was how they worked. And then life was back in force, as if the pause button had been taken off, and James was pulling out far too many bottles to have been able to reasonably fit in the basket along with all that had already come out without magic, rattling off their inventory.

She giggled. "All you need is a dishrag, and to practice your sympathy face, and you could be a bartender. Uhm... let's be adventurous and try the mystery-but-probably-wine bottle," she decided. While James got that organised, she looked out into the night. The charms had been holding out so well thus far that she'd almost forgotten they weren't completely inside, but now that she looked she could see that the blizzard was really beginning to pick up. The snow swirled around the tower, but seemed to evaporate the second they touched the perimeter of her charm work, leaving them completely untouched. She got to her feet, snagged the last mini quiche on her plate, and moved to the railing to take a closer look. "It reminds me a little bit of a snow globe in reverse," she commented. Then, after a pause, she added, "Do wizards actually have snow globes?"
Lily Evans
Lily Evans
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  James Potter January 22nd 2012, 6:08 am

"Adventurous, it is," he answered her, picking up that bottle and the wine glasses he assumed were meant to go with it. Digging out his wand, he used it to remove the cork and glanced up as she wandered over toward the railing and stared out at the storm. It was strange seeing her stand in front of it. The wind outside whirled and snowflakes were flying about as quick as anything, and yet her hair didn't whip or get pulled by the wind and her clothes were left just where they were resting on her frame. The tempest beyond her left her untouched in their protective little bubble. Something funny about it. He couldn't take his eyes off her for a moment, tracing her outline against the whited-out sky, but then he remembered he was meant to be getting them drinks.

Filling two glasses, he sat the bottle aside and pressed the cork back into the opening, picked up their glasses, and kept a careful eye on the quivering crimson liquid inside as he stood up. He watched her standing there for another moment, before approaching and answering her question with a broad grin across her face and a chuckle in his words. "Do wizards actually have snow globes?" he repeated, as if she had asked him if he was truly wearing glasses because he had poor vision. It had very 'DUH' undertones. "Wizards, not have snow globes?" he laughed again, passing her a glass and shaking his head at her as if he couldn't believe she'd think such a thing, that wizards wouldn't have snow globes. His smile remained on his face and he moved to stand beside her, staring out into the world around them, once again enthralled by the quite good spell she had cast around them, watching as snowflakes disintegrated before his eyes, how the heat around him made him feel so perfectly and wonderfully confused, almost disoriented, as he felt she should probably be freezing and wind-swept, not toasty and comfortable. It was a few moments before he spoke up again, his voice soft and genuinely curious. "What's a snow globe?"
James Potter
James Potter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Evans January 22nd 2012, 7:19 am

Lily didn't notice how long James watched her, so caught up she was in the surreal beauty of the flakes swirling around them close enough to touch, but seemingly in a different world. It was like she and James had simply done a neat little sidestep and hopped out of sync with reality for a little while; the rest of the universe simply carried on without them. It was the sound of his voice that prompted her to turn and accept the wine glass with a grateful smile.

She sipped at the rich red liquid that tingled slightly on her tongue and tasted like warmth, rolling her eyes at the very 'well, duh!' superiority of James' tone as he laughed at her question about snow globes. Her face heated a little bit; a habit from learning to expect the worst in displaying her ignorance about the magical world, all too used to being mocked. She took another drink so that she could pass off her blush as the effect of the wine. Lily knew that James didn't mean any mocking or harm in it, and when he finally proved so with his curious, almost childlike question, she couldn't help but laugh.

"You know, when I found out wizards didn't have television, I thought that was strange but rather novel," she mused, playful eyes catching his. "But not having snow globes is really pushing it - now you're just downright deprived. It's one of those things that's so simple, but completely brill. It's like a little diorama that's covered by a plastic dome. And inside there's liquid and all this little white flecky stuff that's meant to be snow. You turn it upside down and shake it like mad, then when you flip it back over it's like you've created a little snowstorm." She paused a moment, then shrugged. Maybe she was exaggerating their brilliance just a touch, but Lily liked snow globes and she didn't know how else to explain them. "Alright, so they're not the most ingenious things ever created, but I think they're neat."
Lily Evans
Lily Evans
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  James Potter January 22nd 2012, 7:30 am

James took a small sip from his glass, watching Lily over the rim. He realized he liked the way she talked, not just the sound of her voice going on, but the expressions that went along with it all as well. Especially right now, the excitement and almost childlike wonder on her face, it was perfect. "Hm." It was all he said at first in response to the description of a snow globe. He turned the idea over in his mind, a little self-created snow storm that one could turn on and hold in your hand and watch from the outside. "So it is a bit like this, only a little backwards. It does sound brilliant," he agreed, glancing away from her, back out into the blizzardy conditions outside. "They sound very neat." Grinning warmly, he looked at her again, taking another drink from his glass. His brain was already plotting and storing away the information that Lily liked snow globes.

"How much longer are you going to make me wait to hear this music you've brought along?" he asked her with that same never-ending grin on his face. Everything about this evening seemed to be making him smile, improving his mood vastly from how low it had sunk in the past few days. He moved back toward their little picnic, sinking back down to his seat, and plucking a grape from the bunch. "I'm not a very patient person but of course, I think you already know that." He lobbed it high, arcing it so that it would hopefully fall just where Lily was standing, returning the favor from earlier.
James Potter
James Potter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Evans January 22nd 2012, 8:02 am

"They are very neat," Lily affirmed, mollified by James' agreement and making little mental notes for herself. She filed away a thought in the back of her mind to have a go at conjuring one for him when she had the chance. At worst, she'd have her Mum send the broken remains of the one that lived on Lily's dressing table over to Hogwarts so that she could try to duplicate it. It had been a gift from Lily's aunt after a long trip, but hadn't survived a particularly vicious argument between Lily and her sister, the summer before Second Year. It was rubbish now, Lily knew, but her aunt had died and she couldn't bring herself to throw it away. Obviously, repairing it now that she could use magic at home had yet to occur to Lily, somehow.

She turned, her eyes following him back to his seat and sneaking the tiniest of peeks at his backside in the process because surely there wasn't anything wrong with partaking in a little bit of discreet appreciation whilst on a date with someone, right? Her lip curled into a cheeky smirk. "Right. Of course, I could always be drawing it out because I know how impatient you are," she told him. Then, before she quite registered the movement of his quick hands, there was a grape lobbing up through the air, arcing right at her. It definitely wasn't graceful -I think we can safely say it wasn't Lily that Harry got his Seeker skills from!- but when the grape bounced off Lily's shoulder, she scrambled and managed to catch it. Miraculously, only a little bit of wine slopped out of her glass and over her fingers. Chuckling, she shoved the grape into her mouth and ate it.

"Alright, alright, if you're in that much of a hurry then," she joked, and joined James back on the picnic rug. This time, she settled herself nearer the gramophone so that she could play the DJ and, after wiping her hand on a napkin, pulled some record albums out of the calico bag. "I tried to get a few different styles without taking so many that my Dad would have a fit and make me send them all back. One of them's still pretty new, but the others are from a few years ago now. Here, have a look," she said, passing over Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols, David Bowie's Hunky Dory, plus both Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here because Mya couldn't pick for James to look at. Lily twisted her jacket sleeve around her fingers and bit her lip. She really thought he'd like the Sex Pistols, but sharing music with someone was really rather intimate somehow and she felt the old nervousness returning.
Lily Evans
Lily Evans
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  James Potter January 22nd 2012, 10:05 pm

At first I read your crossed out bit as 'it was Lily that Harry got his Seeker skills from' and I was like OH HELLLLLL NO. But then I read it again and all was smoothed over before James got rather because he knows he's the seeker and the best seeker and number one seeker and he probably could have gone pro except he liked defeating evil by dueling and by knocking up his wife better apparently. Um. Right. Wise life choices, your sex drive saved the wizarding world, James Potter. Bravo.

James laughed as she caught the grape, though he was worried she might spill the glass of wine all over in the process. He had to admit though, he was a little impressed that she managed to catch it without too much of a spill to deal with. He sat his glass aside - it was empty now anyway - and took the albums from her as she passed them. His eyes scanned over the cover art, which was exceptionally different from the usual wizard cover art, even the wizarding rock art. The first one he was just interested in the name, really. Never mind the bollocks? And sex pistols, those sounded intriguingly dangerous but made absolutely no sense either. The third one had some distressed looking woman on the front, but then it said David, and that couldn't be a man, could it? And the next had light and a triangle and a rainbow and didn't seem to make a lot of sense either, but it was strangely intriguing to look at. The last one had a guy on fire on it, and he wondered how the muggles managed that one, because he was pretty sure they couldn't do a controlled incendio or set a spell on his clothes so that he didn't get burnt. Without realizing it, he muttered "fascinating" out loud, sorting through them all again and trying to pick one to listen to first.

With a light shrug, he passed her the Sex Pistols. "Play me your favorite one." He kept the rest in his lap, still looking at them, as he waited for her to pick a song out and start playing it, his curiosity growing with every second at what he would hear.
James Potter
James Potter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Evans January 22nd 2012, 11:24 pm

Haha. Also, pfft. PFFT, I say. We all know the fact is James didn't have the energy to go off and be a Quidditch star after Lily let him out of bed. Her getting knocked up was pretty much inevitable... But bravo to both of them, anyway. Mmhmm.

Lily watched almost hungrily as James took in the album covers for the first time, turning them over again and again in his hands, shuffling back and forth between them as if he couldn't quite figure them out. Her shoulders shook a little bit with a silent laugh when he began to mutter to himself, apparently quite taken by the flaming man on the Wish You Were Here cover. When he passed her the Sex Pistols album and asked her to play her favourite, she bit her lip and pulled an apprehensive face.

"I rather like a lot of them on this one," she muttered, her eyes scanning through the track listing as if rereading what she already knew would help with the decision. "I only got this one over the summer, actually. I started hanging around with some of the local kids for something to do and one of them bought this on the sly and then got given one, so he passed it on to me. Erm... maybe this one," she finally said, and put on Pretty Vacant.

Lily Evans
Lily Evans
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  James Potter January 23rd 2012, 12:04 am

James listened as she explained where she got it, and then leaned back on the blanket. "Local boys huh? You better look out, I'm sure they're not nearly as nice as me," he joked with a smile while she set it up to play. He put his hands behind his head and stared up at the ceiling, paying attention to the music and readying himself to form an opinion on it. He wasn't sure what to make of it right off. The guitar started out great and he bobbed his head along. His next thought through his head was 'well this bloke can't really sing that well, can he?' but then he realized that a lot of the wizard singers couldn't exactly sing well either, so it probably didn't matter that much. He wasn't sure what to make of it as a whole, these guys called the sex pistols going on about being so pretty so pretty, but it was only a few minute in. By the time it was halfway over, he found his foot tapping along with it, and by the time it was over, he realized he liked it more than he thought he did.

He gave it a satisfied nod and grin, passing Lily the second album in the stack that he had resting on his stomach, which happened to be David Bowie. "Pick another favorite, Evans, I think I like where this is going," he told her excitedly, waiting for another song to start.
James Potter
James Potter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Evans January 23rd 2012, 1:18 am

"Hey, I said local kids, not local boys, Potter," she pointed out, feigning offence for a moment before letting a shrug and a smirk tell the truth of it as James leaned back and relaxed, ready to listen. "There were a few girls, too."

Lily spent the entire song watching for James' reactions. It started out well, she grinned when he immediately began to bob his head along with the guitar, but before she could truly relax and enjoy it for herself she was distracted by James' changing expression. He seemed to war with himself a little bit, as if he couldn't yet make the music and the lyrics and the sound of Johnny Rotten's voice all fit together in his mind. She chewed on her lip, afraid he would decide he didn't like it at all, but her worry seemed to be for nothing; James seemed to be taken in by the music almost despite himself. Lily turned her head away, fussing with the albums and taking a sip of wine, using the curtain of her hair to hide her face as she smiled gently. She understood. She'd felt the same way when she'd come home for the summer and everyone she met was going on about them, and she didn't quite know what the appeal was but she was drawn into it anyway.

It wasn't until the song finished that she looked up again, an expectant face turning towards James and accepting the Bowie record. "Aye aye, Captain," she murmured, happy to oblige. She swapped the two records over almost at once. The choice was much easier for her this time around, she had a definite favourite for this record. She dropped the needle to play Life on Mars? and reclined a little herself, leaning back on her elbows in between James and the player.

POSTING FROM WORK LIKE A BOSS. *pokerface*
Except I wish I hadn't forgotten my headphones....
Lily Evans
Lily Evans
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  James Potter January 23rd 2012, 1:32 am

James laughed at her response, taking a calm breath and waiting for the music to start again. He was momentarily distracted as Lily settled down next to him, sort of, and had to pull his brain away from the idea of their proximity to actually listen to the song.

This one started and he could tell right off it was definitely different from what they'd just listened to. And the woman-y picture on the front was definitely a man, judging by the voice, he decided. And he could sing a little better than the previous fellow, as well. His foot moved along with the beat of the song, and it was something he could picture himself listening to to just zone out and relax and not do much of anything, just listen to some music and hang out. He kind of liked that about it the most. Ashley had to scroll so she couldn't see the video while listening, because she just can NOT take David Bowie seriously like, at all. Ever.

"Kind of..." he searched for the right word. "Dreamy? Spacey? Ha. Spacey. Mars." He took a moment to grin goofily in amusement before continuing. "I don't know. Something like that, you know?" he commented to Lily as it came to an end. "Different than the Sex Pistols for sure, but I like it too. More?" He grinned and passed her the next album, Dark Side of the Moon. "Another favorite spacey music song?" He wondered why muggles seemed to like space so much, with this Mars business and the dark side of the moon and all, and suddenly he burst out laughing, finding the appropriateness of their currently location too hilarious to contain. He rolled onto his side as he dissolved into laughter, crossing his arms over his stomach as he tried to breathe again so he could tell Lily before she thought he was laughing at her or something. "Perfect for the Astronomy tower, isn't it?" He smiled at her, genuinely delighted with the ironic perfection, and hoping she would be too.
James Potter
James Potter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Evans January 23rd 2012, 1:57 pm

David Bowie was not made to be taken seriously, I am sure of it. Or if he was... something went very, very wrong.

Lily zoned out herself for a few minutes, letting the music lull her a little, as it always did. It was sort of surreal, listening to David Bowie with James in the Astronomy tower, having a picnic while the snowflakes swirled around them. She drank more of her wine, sipping much slower than James had because red wine always seemed to go right to her head if she wasn't careful. She drained the last of her glass as the music faded away, put the glass aside, and half-rolled so that she was angled slightly towards James to be able to talk to him.

She smiled, resting on one arm and watching him try to explain the music. "Right. Spacey, definitely," she chuckled. Extending her hand, she took the next album he passed her and flipped it over to take a look for herself. Her lips fell into a thoughtful little frown when he requested another 'favourite spacey music song' of her. She couldn't really narrow this one down. And then, in that sudden, bursting way that he had, James was dissolving into a fit of laughter that jolted Lily enough to drop the record to the soft rug below her. Her head tilted, the angle even more odd given that she was still on her side, red hair spilling all over as she stared quizzically and waited for the explanation. When it finally came, she stopped a moment, rather shocked by the connection James had made.

Finally a slow, broad grin swept over her face. "Perfect," she agreed. There were a few long seconds where everything just sort of stopped; she could still see the snowflakes whipping about out of the corner of her eye but with no sound filtering through her charms the space inside seemed doubly still by comparison. For a heartbeat she forgot what she was meant to be doing, then it all came back to her at once. "Oh," she said, sitting up abruptly and snatching up the record. "Right. Erm..." Lily chewed her lip, thinking. Finally, she gave up. "It's not that easy with Pink Floyd, really. I mean, almost all their stuff is 'spacey', as you put it, but you can't always break it down into just songs because a lot of the time half the beauty is about how the whole album fits and flows, if you know what I'm saying," she rambled, the record flailing about as her hands moved in her attempts to express herself. "You really ought to listen to the whole thing to truly appreciate it. But here - if you want to start with just one, hand me their other album. There's a song on there I can play for you first that's absolutely perfect all on its own," she said, reaching out towards James to take the Wish You Were Here album and play the right song. She settled back in next to James, wiggling about to get comfortable and ending up laying on her side again, facing him.

Lily Evans
Lily Evans
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  James Potter January 23rd 2012, 10:40 pm

Curse you now I have it on repeat for a second day in a row. Not that that's a bad thing, I suppose. Let me just drown everything else out with Pink Floyd. That sounds like an A+ way to survive Monday.

James had worried at first maybe she didn't think it was as funny as he did, and maybe she would think he was being stupid or immature. Then he realized that 9 times out of 10, she did think he was being stupid or immature and made sure to tell him so, and so he didn't mind so much as he thought he did at first if that was the case. However, a moment later, she was grinning too, and all the tiny thoughts that had been rampaging about in his head were gone and he was just watching her smile and smiling back at her.

The trance broke and she was going on about the record in her hands, and he nodded as if he knew exactly what she meant. He followed to an extent, sure, but if one has never heard Pink Floyd before, they can't properly appreciate how perfect the album is as a whole, and not just as separate songs. It's something that has to be experienced to be understood. He shrugged lightly, passing her the last album so that she could pick something from it instead, excited by the way she said it was absolutely perfect. He leaned back with his head resting on his hands again, and listened as she looked at him. It was hard to keep his eyes on the ceiling and not her face, but worried it would make her nervous or annoyed or something if he stared at her too much. Poor secretly nervous and self conscious James, he doesn't quite know what to do with himself on a date with the girl of his dreams.

It was odd at first, like there were people talking when they shouldn't be, like they'd accidentally recorded someone's conversation. But then the music started, and it was calm and dreamy and relaxing and he thought he could listen to this song a whole lot as well. Maybe put it on repeat for several days at a time. As the singing began, it matched with the intro, just a dreamy and relaxing sort of feel. He knew at once that he liked it. Really liked it. Because seriously who in their right mind doesn't like Pink Floyd? When it was over, he glanced over at Lily, just really feeling happy and nice. "More of that, my lady," he laughed. "Or that whole other album of theirs, since you said it was best all together?"
James Potter
James Potter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Evans January 24th 2012, 9:11 am

Knowing that I would get to come home, blast some Pink Floyd, and finally reply to Evotter was the only thing that kept me from pitching a complete bitch fit and storming out today... Well, plusthewineandcheesecake.
Also, shorter post is shorter, because Lily doesn't really want to do anything right now but sit quietly and look at James and feel the happy/peaceful vibe.

Feigning more confidence than she really had, Lily kept her eyes fixed on James, not about to look away if he wasn't going to comment. Even as she watched, his eyes seemed to flicker towards her a little but, as if he was trying to look at her and trying to keep himself from looking at her at the same time. The thought made her lips twitch with a little smile. "I don't think I'll ever get tired of this song," she admitted quietly, as it drew to a close.

Her eyes brightened, thrilled by the obvious pleasure James found in the music. All too happily, she put on Dark Side of the Moon and left it to play through. This time, instead of laying back down beside him, Lily stayed sitting cross-legged just across from James. Plucking one of the crackers from the little container of them next to the cheese, she fiddled with it and set about crumbling it to flakes rather than actually eating it. She thought back over her evening, and their date so far, realising that things had gone better than she could have hoped for after everything and not at all as she had expected. "You've surprised me, you know."
Lily Evans
Lily Evans
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  James Potter January 24th 2012, 7:56 pm

I find it appropriate that I decided to wear my Pink Floyd t-shirt today.

James relaxed back into the soft blanket again as she let the music start playing. It was similar to the last in that there were voices and unexpected sounds before the music began, but he found that he really liked something about it. Couldn't put his finger on what it was, but he liked it. Maybe just because it was so very different from what he was used to, it was a pleasant, if complete, change.

James glanced over, watching as Lily's fidgety fingers absolutely destroyed a cracker. He shifted his eyes from her twitchy fingers up to her face when she spoke up, one of his eyebrows arching up in surprise. The album had moved on to the next song, but James didn't realize it. It flowed together so perfectly, the music never actually ceased, and he was unaware that they were now on track 2. "Oh yeah?" He was curious, how he would have surprised her. He didn't think he was being really any different from usual, if a little less confident because he really didn't want to screw this up, and because something about Lily today just made him... nervous. Nervous, in the best of possible ways, but nervous all the same. He played it off though, readjusting his hands behind his head so that he could look at her better. "How do you mean?"
James Potter
James Potter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Evans January 25th 2012, 12:42 am

That is very appropriate indeed. If I owned one, I probably would've been tempted to wear it today.

Lily smiled at James, looked down, noticed the mess she was making and pulled a self-conscious little face. It was hard not to feel nervous, spotlighted, even when James wasn't looking at her. In a way she felt like he was always looking at her. She brushed the cracker crumbs away and looked back at James. She shrugged.

"Just... tonight. Everything." Her eyes shot briefly towards the gramophone as one track bled seamlessly into another, before being drawn right back to the boy relaxing on the rug in front of her. "It's practically a crime against nature not to like Pink Floyd, but I didn't think you'd like them as much as you seem to. Erm - you do like it, don't you?" she checked, feeling compelled to reassure herself that her plans had been worth it and James had really liked it. What if he changed his mind; what if getting to know her made him decide that she was nothing really special after all, and he didn't know why he'd tried so hard? What if he didn't like Lily when he really got to know her?
Lily Evans
Lily Evans
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  James Potter January 27th 2012, 10:35 pm

Apologies for the wait, the week ran away with my mind. Now a quick reply before I make myself read for a few hours about Babylonian Art History YAY >.>

James looked up at her, wondering what exactly she meant by 'everything'. Surely she couldn't really mean everything, because who could even begin to comprehend everything? Everything was a lot of things to think about, even for someone like Lily Evans, who James figured had a rather high brain capacity and could probably begin to understand 'everything' faster than most of the other people in their year. He was drawn from his rambling thoughts by her question, to which he nodded very enthusiastically, which may have looked only a little awkward because of the fact that he was lying down and nodding is always a bit strange in such a position.

"Oh, yeah. I really do like it. The muggles seem to know what good music is made of, which apparently includes noises and sounds that I wouldn't have figured were really a part of music. But it's kind of refreshing, to think that daily noises could be music if you listen to them right." Getting deep there, Jamesy boy. Lily's voice was like music to him, but of course the voice of someone you like is always a pleasant sound. Well, almost always. There were instances otherwise, but he didn't think on those now, he mostly wanted her to talk again, to let him listen again and watch how her mouth moved. And thinking on her mouth, he remembered their last encounter that had lead to a somewhat sour Christmas holiday, the kiss in the common room that she had so quickly negated, and had tried to repair today. "Can I ask you something?" he said softly, as if he were afraid that speaking too loudly would break the nice little trance of peace and calm over them, would stop the music or interrupt whatever was allowing them such a nice time alone up here together. She looked as lost in her thoughts as he had been, and he hoped he hadn't interrupted something terribly important like perhaps the realization that she was madly in love with him.
James Potter
James Potter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Evans January 28th 2012, 1:59 am

That's ok. I was about a day from cracking and nudging you. Wink That sounds... interesting. I bought a book called 'Harry Potter and History' when I was shopping the other day, so I will probably distract myself with that later. Mya's favourite kind of history involves Harry Potter. >.>

Lily smiled; it was as much for the reassurance that James liked the music as it was for the amusement of seeing his head rapidly twitching up and down, trying to nod from his position. She remained silent, captured by his words as his lips formed them and he gave shape to the kinds of ideas Lily sometimes thought existed only in the back of her own mind. "That's what I like about it," she admitted softly. "It's all the extra stuff; the kind of things you'd usually dismiss as just background noise and think it doesn't really belong there because people who make music usually edit it out and take it away. It brings life to it somehow."

Falling silent again, as if she too did not want to break the magical sort of trance the music had set over them, Lily chewed on her bottom lip and let the rest of her thoughts remain unspoken. Her eyes were resting on James' mouth still, but she barely noticed because her focus had blurred from reality and her attention was engrossed by her own thoughts. She didn't know how much time had passed when James spoke up once more. It was the movement of his lips that caught her attention before the sounds reached her ears, she blinked a couple of times and shifted her gaze back to reality and up to his eyes. "You just did," she pointed out, lips twitching but failing to smile properly at the lame little joke. She waved her hand slightly as if to encourage him on.
Lily Evans
Lily Evans
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  James Potter January 28th 2012, 2:27 am

I bought Harry, A History a while ago. Haven't gotten to read it yet, but it's calling to me from my bookshelf... Anyway, yeah. Sorry. XD I hate making someone wait more than like a day for a reply but I never seemed to get around to replying, ugh. Anyway. Weekend now! Homework like mad, but no classes/being stuck on campus!

James grinned, glad she agreed with him on the little extra bits of the songs. Watching her face as they sat there in the actually comfortable silence, he realized she was still staring at him, whether she realized it or not. He sort of liked it, the intensity of her gaze and the fact that it was pinned on him. A smirk pulled at the corner of his mouth at her answer. "Alright, can I ask you another something? Er, two more somethings..." he drifted off and paused, realizing he had just asked another, and two more somethings. He decided he may as well just come out with it. There was really no simple way to do it other than being blunt, but it was a touchy subject, almost. He didn't want it to get the same reaction it had had the previous time it was discussed, but the curiosity was killing him. He had to know. His eye caught her hand motion, and he gathered up the courage and spoke, falling completely silent afterwards, letting the question hang in the air, waiting exceptionally impatiently for her answer.

"Why did you kiss me?"
James Potter
James Potter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Evans January 28th 2012, 2:51 am

I always find books I want to read for pleasure about a million times more interesting when I don't have the time to read them/need to read something else. >.> Big fat YAY for weekends though.

Lily smirked a little bit when James repeated the same process, asking for permission to ask a question, but said nothing and let him ask what he really wanted to ask her. The smirk died almost at once. The question was blunt, but she knew it couldn't have been any other way. Lily also know that it was only really the half of what James was asking her because hand in hand with why she kissed him had to be the other burning question of why she'd told him it was meaningless. Without her realising it, the emotional shutters closed in her eyes and her hands clenched. Lily could not -would not- lie, but how could she ever explain the entirety of the truth and all the feelings that had torn through her in those moments? She forced her hands to relax and her eyes, weary but honest, to stay on James.

"I kissed you because I wanted to."
There. That was the truth. Perhaps not the in the depths of what James might have really wanted to know, but it was honest. Lily had wanted to kiss James, and so she had.
Lily Evans
Lily Evans
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  James Potter January 28th 2012, 3:04 am

James watched her struggle with finding an answer, and that worried him. What if she really had meant what she said. What if it had been some stupid error of judgement, a poor momentary decision that she regretted, and this whole picnic that he'd been thinking of as a 'date' was really just her attempt at repairing his ego so he wouldn't look like a kicked puppy all the time. But then her words washed over him, brief though they were, and more questions formed themselves in his mind, fighting and unable to find a way to his mouth to be voiced.

"Hm," was all he could manage at first. He thought a while longer, let the quiet linger, before rolling a bit onto his side, propping his head up on his hand to look at her. He pinned her with a searching look.

"Why did you want to?"
James Potter
James Potter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Evans January 28th 2012, 3:25 am

Lily drew her legs up towards her chest, hugging her knees and effectively closing herself off with her body language. She couldn't help it; Lily didn't want to deal with this part, where they talk about their feelings and lay all their emotional secrets and scars and, well, baggage, she guessed it was, bare for each other to pick through and play with. But James had rolled to face her properly and there was such a searching look on his face that almost looked as if it would give way to vulnerability if he would let it that Lily felt a little tug in her heart. Maybe she wasn't really ready to go laying it all out in the open for him, but she could at least try to give James a little bit of surety of her intentions, couldn't she? She managed a smile, and a little bit of that playful spark about her as she gave James a pointed look.

"Now you're just fishing for compliments, Potter. I already told you before; I like you. I like you, and I wanted to kiss you, so I did. Is that alright with you?"
Lily Evans
Lily Evans
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next