Average Wizard Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spells and Points

3 posters

Go down

Spells and Points Empty Spells and Points

Post  James Potter - Inactive August 1st 2010, 3:22 am

Okay, so does anyone else think the perception of spells and points changes throughout the books? I'll start with spells

Take, for example, oculus reparo. Doesn't that seem like an oddly specific spell for a first year to know and be able to use without having practiced at all (not allowed to use magic outside of Hogwarts)? I understand reparo would be one in the textbooks, but I wonder that they even need to add oculus to that? Reparo would fix anything. So I don't think the oculus is needed... Anyway, that was sort of a tangent. I'm a little doubtful that Hermione should be able to perform such a spell without previous practice. Then again, she picked up wingardium leviosa pretty quickly. Another example is the spell Lupin uses to shoot the gum Peeves stuck in the lock into Peeves' nose. Remember? I can't remember the exact name of it, but that one seemed oddly specific, too. Is there a spell for shooting things into people's noses? Maybe that was an improvised spell? Only they don't talk about improvised spells the rest of the series... I don't get it. Oh, and non-verbal spells. What's the difference between flicking your wand and something happening, or using a non-verbal spell? Snape uses one of the two to write potions instructions on the board sometimes. What kind of spell was that? As the series moved on and explored more and more advanced things, I started thinking about the spells and magic in past books, and wondering just how they worked. And sometimes, things just didn't match up.

Okay, now for points. I distinctly remember in the first book, teachers giving a point to Gryffindor several times. A point. Singular. Just one. Also, when they defeated the troll, McGoogles distributed points in increments of five. In all of the other books, the points go from tens to twenties and so on. Why are the point amounts so small in book one?

James Potter - Inactive

Back to top Go down

Spells and Points Empty Re: Spells and Points

Post  Bellatrix Black August 1st 2010, 5:17 am

Waddiwasi was that gum spell. I've managed to memorize nearly all of them that were actually given somehow for who knows what reason.
I feel like anything that happens when you flick your wand without saying an incantation is a non-verbal spell, which it seems you would have to master verbally before you could perform it non-verbally, even something as simple as writing on a chalkboard.
It seems the specificity of some spells would be a result of them being created by the caster. Snape created sectumsempra, Lupin may have created waddiwasi on the spot, Hermione may have managed to study enough to know how to specify a reparo charm (overachiever that she is), and Ron even attempted a self-created spell on Scabbers, despite the fact that it didn't work. I wish we had a bigger list of more spells that there were, because there was a lot of non-verbal magic going on without any specific incantations, and I'd love to know them.

As far as the points thing, I just figured that the amount of points given/taken was associated with your year. Younger students earn/lose less than older students, accounting for skill level and age and whatnot.
Bellatrix Black
Bellatrix Black
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Romilda Vane August 1st 2010, 5:31 am

I think the oculus was just because she needed the spell to be as specific as possible because her magic at that point was undeveloped. Lupin's charm wasn't specific at all. That's just what it did. And there is an entire list of every spell ever mentioned on the Lexicon.
Romilda Vane
Romilda Vane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum